Trigger Warning: Brief mention of suicide
Recently the Netflix Original, “Thirteen Reasons Why” has garnered a lot of attention for its story of the reasons why Hannah Baker killed herself. Personally, I haven’t watched the series, but I am considering doing so at some point. But not long after it gained such attention, I came across this post on Virtual Vomit, a blog I follow. It’s starting the hashtag, #13reasonswhyimhappy to spread some positivity around in response to the Netflix series and maybe even make a difference for someone. So, here’s my list of thirteen reasons why I’m happy.
- I am alive. It might seem like the most basic of reasons to be happy, but for me, that really is a huge thing. I couldn’t be anything or do anything if I wasn’t alive. More than that though, I don’t simply get to be alive, but I also get to live — the two are very different things.
- I have dreams to chase. I want to be a published author. I want to be a wife, a mother. I want to be a psychologist. I want to travel. I want to help others. I want to make a difference. I want to leave a legacy of a world changed for the better.
- I have people I love. Really, I have so many of those. I have amazing parents who have been nothing but supportive throughout my life. I have two pairs of loving grandparents. I have aunts and uncles and cousins. And I have a group of people I call “my humans,” the ones that I know so well and care for so much that they are essentially family. They all mean the world to me.
- Writing exists. I don’t know what I would do if I lived in a time or a culture where writing wasn’t invented yet. I would probably never get anything effectively communicated if I couldn’t write. 😛
- The world is amazingly beautiful. Seriously, I’m looking out my window right now, and wow, everything is so green right now. And there are other things that I can’t see right now too, like flowers, stars, butterflies, rain, the ocean… I just love being somewhere so beautiful.
- I’m currently learning to drive. It might seem like a relatively small thing, but hey, I’m sixteen! I got my permit! I’ve been behind the wheel a few times, and it’s a little nerve wracking, but it’s so fun at the same time!
- I get to take risks. What would life be without being able to take risks? Without getting this little thrill when you know you’re doing something that could go very, very wrong or very, very right? I can honestly think of so many times I’ve taken risks, and some of them have been pretty life-changing ones — like starting this blog.
- I am always growing. That’s something I love about being human. I can change so much in a single lifetime, even in a single year, that I am a completely different person now than I was last year.
- Plants! So many plants! I have a deep love for just about everything green and growing, but my main thing is orchids.
- I am going to Peru in December. See what I was saying about wanting to travel the world? It also comes under my dream of helping others, because I’ll be helping in the rebuilding that’s still underway after the earthquake of 2007. I am so excited for this trip, I really can’t begin to tell you how much.
- I have survived the painful parts of my past. It’s such a satisfying feeling to be able to look back and know just how far I’ve come.
- Music. Really, what would I do without it? Especially my Twenty One Pilots. They help keep me afloat when my mind tries to rip me apart.
- I am loved, and I get to love others. In the end, I think that’s what all my happiness boils down to.
So, there are my #13reasonswhyimhappy! What are yours! Let me know in the comments below, or feel free to write your own post, if you so please!